![]() |
| Becca is about to bury a plant in one of her raised beds (2021) |
So, you’re thinking about gardening but have no idea where to start. Hey, that was me six years ago! Before 2018, I (wrongly) believed I could never garden because I use an electric wheelchair. Through research and the support and talent of amazing people, I grew my first ever crop in my first ever set of raised beds soon enough. Now, I can safely say my confidence and knowledge have expanded more than I ever thought they would – and they will for you too!
THE PROS & CONS OF RAISED BEDS:
PROS:
- As the term suggests, raised beds are off the ground. It stops the pain of bending down for long periods, and wheelchair users can reach the soil comfortably.
- There is more space in and around the beds, meaning more versatility. You can attach smaller containers for holding tools or extra plants.
- It’s easy to protect your crops from the elements – you can cover containers to protect your crops from frost, shade, or hungry critters.
- Extra space for holding cups of tea!
CONS:
- Choose where you want your beds to be carefully. Once your raised beds are in place, they are fixed and don’t move. For those rare hot days, I recommend installing a parasol.
- Depending on the depth of your containers, you are limited in what you can grow.
- You may need multiple raised beds which will impact on the space you have available.
RECOMMENDED CROPS TO TRY:
- Strawberries come back every year and are hardy in cold weather; there is a variety to choose from. Great if you don’t have a lot of space!
- Pansies/violas look lovely and cheerful and have shallow roots, so they don’t need deep containers.
- Thyme smells delicious, and bees love it. Like most herbs, it may run rampant if you let it!
- Carrots - marigolds are excellent companion plants; cover them with a net against carrot fly
- Succulents prefer dry conditions and shallow soil.
Don’t forget: gardening is all about trial and error. It’s okay if a crop doesn’t work in your raised bed; you can try something different next time!
![]() |
| Becca unveils a parsnip from her second set of raised beds - the biggest she has grown so far! (2023) |


No comments:
Post a Comment